I’m wrapping up my viewings of the many videos of Othello, and, boy, are my eyes tired. (OK, not all of the versions, but many) I love how Iago’s Act One, Scene Three soliloquy with “I hate the Moor” can have a number of different readings.
You know me… just a boy with Premiere Pro and a desire to be always tinkerin’…
And thus, I’ve put together a chronological super-edit of those speeches:
- MacLiammoir (1952; dir. Welles)
- Finlay (1965; National Theatre, dir. Burge)
- Hoskins (1981; BBC Complete Works, dir. Miller)
- McKellen (1989; RSC, dir. Nunn)
- Haines (1989; dir. Suzman)
- Branagh (1995; dir. Parker)
- McInnerny (2007; Shakespeare’s Globe, dir. Milam)
plus a “Killer” extra!
You can find it here…
[btw, I had thought of doing Othello’s “Put out the light” speech, but there didn’t seem to be as much variation in readings…]